Deccan and South Indian Kingdom
1. For how many years did the Satavahanas rule?
2. What were they also known as?
3. Which inscriptions tell us about the reign of GautamiputraAtakarni?
Nashik and Nanaghad
4. Who was the seventeenth king of the Satavahana dynasty?What was he famous for?
Hala- famous for his book Gathasaptasati
5. Who defeated Pulakesin II?
6. Who was the successor of Pulakesin II?
7. What is literature?
Written works, especially those considered of superior or lasting artistic merit.
8. What was Sangam?
An assembly of Tamil poets held under the patronage of the kings.
9. How many Sangams were there in all?
10. Where was the first Sangam held?
11.Where were the second and thirdSangam held?
Kapadapuram and third at Madurai.
12.Which dynasties ruled the South India during the Sangam Age?
The Cheras,the Cholas, the Pandyas.
13. What was the capital of Cheras?
14.Which items were traded?
Spices, sandalwood and ivory.
15. Where did the Pandyas rule?
Present day Tamil Nadu.
16.Where did the Cheras rule?
Over the modern parts of modern Kerala.
17. How do we know about the socio- economic conditions of the Pandyas?
The Maduraikkanji written by mangudimauthanar describes the socio Economic conditions of the Pandyas
18. What was the capital of the Pallavas?
19.Who was the last Pallava ruler?
20.Who was the first ruler of the Pallavas?
21.What was the capital of Cheras?
22. What does Bhakti mean?
Bhakti means total surrender to God.
23.Name the famous sants of the Bahkti sect in South India.
Nayanars and Alvars
24.What do you know about Nayanars?
They were devotees of Lord Shiva and wrote poetry in the praise of Lord Shiva.
25.What do you know about Alvars?
They were worshippers of Lord Vishnu..
26.Name two ports that became the centres of foreign trade.
Puhar, Tondi, Korkai, Arikkamedu and Marakkanam.
27. How do we know that trade was carried with the Romans?
Roman coins were found in all parts of Tamil Nadu
1.Who was the famous king of the Cholas? Why was he famous?
Ans Karikala- his military achievements made him the overload of the whole Tamil countrytrade and commerce flourished during his reign- he was responsible for the reclamation of the forest lands and brought them under cultivation- built theKallanai dam across the river Kaveri.
2.What did the handicrafts during the Sangam period include?
Weaving, metal works, carpentry, ship building and making of ornaments using beads and stones
3.Explain about the economy during the Sangam Age.
· Handicrafts of the Sangam period were popular.
· Included weaving, metal works and carpentry, ship building and making of ornaments using beads and stones.
· There was a great demand of these products as the external and internal trade was its peak during the sangam period.
4.Explain the different types of villages during the Sangam Age
Three types of villages :
· consisted of brahmadeya villages or villages granted to Brahmanas
· Brahman owners enjoyed individual rights
· activities were carried out collectively
· villagers were traders and merchants
· they dominated the village
· typical village
· consists of farmers